Saturday 2 February 2013

School: Term 1, Jan. 2013


Happy Groundhog Day everyone! It's technically Feb. 2 here in Zambia, but not yet in Canada. So I'm waiting to check the news about the groundhog. I need to know what I'm coming back to!

Mylon and I have been keeping very busy this term. It's been very fun and I can't believe it's already February. Where did January go? Time goes by so fast here at Sakeji. Only about two months left and the term will be over.

This term I've been busy teaching grade 8-9 science classes. It's quite fun. We've been learning about cells, all the parts of the cells, and functions and all that jazz. It's fun to teach. The kids are so smart! We've been doing a lot of experiments too. The microscopes and scales ore so ancient, it's kind of funny. They still work for our purposes though!

I'm also doing a bit of work with the Grade 1's. They are just starting to learn how to read. So I've been teaching them syllables and sounds. They are so cute. They have the cutest giggles! I will definitely miss them when I leave.

I'm also doing a computer class with the grade 2's, reading groups with grade 2-3 and 4-5, phys.ed with grades 7-8, and after school games, crafts, piano lessons, swimming lessons and Sunday school lessons. This must be why time goes by so fast. I'm nice and busy!

Mylon is also teaching a lot more classes this term. He has picked up Grades 8-9 History. He's made up his own course on the 20th century. The kids seem to really enjoy it and are really doing well. And obviously he loves it too. He also teaches Grade 3 computers, Social Studies with grades 2-3 and 4-5, and a few phys.ed classes.

Last week for Social Studies with grades 4-5 Mylon and a local worker from Sakeji went on a field trip. To learn about the agriculture in Zambia . So they went to a pineapple field. The women gardening and the local worker showed the kids (and Mylon) how to plant pineapples and they also picked fresh pineapples and cut them up and ate it. Mylon said it was the most amazing pineapple he's ever had. The locals claim to have the best pineapple in the world. I believe it, because it's by far the best pineapple I've ever had.

They also went to a casava field. The woman also showed them how this was planted and grown. It's quite interesting. And hard work it seems. Casava is used to make nshima, which is a Zambia staple. (You get it with your meals at KFC). It's like grey dough-y stuff they eat with different relishes. It's pretty weird, but it sometimes tastes o.k.

So from the casava plant, they use the roots. They cut off the root and soak it in the river for about 4 days, let it dry, then they mash it all up and soak it some more x2, then it's ready to make nshima with.

So here are some pictures of the field trip. It looked very interesting but I couldn't go because I had another class. But Mylon brought home 3 pineapples to share with me. Yummy!








1 comment:

  1. I miss these kids so much! I'm glad you are getting more involved in the teaching side of things! Miss you too! ~Yolanda

    ReplyDelete